Saturday, September 3, 2022

Fruits basket

 AISG has an amazing Human Resources team. They have been clear and professional throughout my hiring, entry visa application, entry into China and then entry into Guangzhou city. The furnished apartment is where I will finish three days of "home quarantine." It's a lovely place in the Yuexiu district, a vibrant and posh area of Guangzhou city. During the hotel stay Human Resources advocated for my every need, and gave me things I didn't end up needing, because they were covering their bases... Pre-empting complaints I guess. I have simple needs, thank god. I brought the leftover fruit from the hotel and then today a delivery of fruit came to my door. I can now open a fruit stand, which will certainly help me learn the currency, some local language, and business customs. It's going to be like a "lemonade stand" for an adult woman. 

Additionally the school sent Italian food, and Mexican food, which I am very grateful for, because I don't understand WeChat very well. I have looked at the local bakery delivery site and am pleased to find that most menus have pictures and work with a numbering system. I've learned 1-10 in Mandarin so things are going to be smooth for me!!! They have a different way to present numbers by hand in South China, instead of ☝ 1✌2 ✋5...  I'm catching on to this too. πŸ€™πŸ€™πŸ€™ The "hang loose" hand gesture = 6. A good description is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerals#Hand_gestures. 

The community management sent a green plant to keep me company, and that will live by the living room window. The apartment has everything stocked, kitchen essentials, bathroom essentials. I can't see any reason to leave my apartment. This is kind of like a New York or Dubai situation. ANYTHING can be delivered. Yet, I am by nature someone who prefers to hunt and gather my goods. You know, you have to "use it or lose it." I must tend to my fruit stand. πŸ˜‰

Last but not least, my library colleagues sent me lovely pink roses with a handwritten note. Incredibly thoughtful! I feel so lucky to have gotten this particular job. I interviewed a lot over the past eight years to keep in practice and make sure my skills were fresh. Nothing was really suitable. I am glad I was locked down in Dubai in 2020 instead of locked down in Riyadh..... Things worked out for me, every time. You end up in a place for some cosmic reason. Getting flowers from two library ladies named Kitty is reward enough for being patient to make my way to Guangzhou. I feel like I can make a difference in our students lives. Hopefully make them smarter, more adjusted in the world, more information literate, more confident in their abilities, and not afraid of challenges. Life is pretty difficult! Although sometimes your food is delivered to your door when you need it, and then you need to count your lucky stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Planning for World Travel, a guide for getting started

Eurail pass or river cruise  is my best suggestion for anyone who has never traveled abroad. This article is written with Americans in mind,...