Monday, February 6, 2023

Don't Worry Darling ❤️🗡️

It's the time of year to be scared—Valentine's Day! I will blog about a few of my favorite books, movies, and streaming series that are good for the season.


📽️"Ready or Not"

This 2019 film is a horror comedy about a wedding celebration with a deadly game attached to the ceremony. A wealthy family has an initiation to test if the new bride can be "one of the gang." This is a nail-biting hide-and-seek, relationship-testing battle for survival, which is what a marriage ceremony is all about. I saw this in the cinema and laughed more than others. I found it a riot.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/
2019-08-23/ready-or-not-ending-explained












📽️David Lynch "Mulholland Drive"—

This existential horror has stuck with me for years. I appreciate "Lost Highway," for the creepy vibe. But "Mulholland Drive" has more of the "caught in a nightmare" vibe that you are looking for when you want to be existentially terrified and unable to sleep for several nights…. David Lynch is a creative genius.

https://www.summerhall.co.uk/sh-event/mulholland-drive-15/


📺"Killing Eve"

I started this in April 2022 and had nightmares for days about someone who is a pathological murderer for hire. The circumstances of this story are truly devastating if you have a moral compass, but the show is entertaining regarding the traditional theme of a "who done it" mystery, which is perennially popular. Jodie Comer is exceptionally talented with her various accents and personalities. Also, in spring-summer 2022, Ms. Comer performed in a three-hour-long one-woman show which is themed on sexual assault and the legal system, fascinating talent. https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/apr/27/prima-facie-review-jodie-comer-on-formidable-form-in-roaring-drama


https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/the-ending-of-killing-eve
-season-4-explained.html














📖"House of Leaves"

It's difficult to choose one book which is the most terrifying, but this one stole my soul and made me want to move from where I was living because I started to believe it was haunted. "House of Leaves" is a creatively printed book about an existential black hole experience as related by the narrator, who may not be alive anymore and is blind. You feel like you are reading the story as it's being written. Is it a maze, a labyrinth, or a love story?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24800.House_of_Leaves




📽️Candyman 2021

This movie is a "supernatural slasher," according to some, but with Jordan Peele as a director, it is also very deep. Even if the scary parts of the movie don't get you, the final message will scare the joy the out of you. You are fucked for your evil deeds, Candyman is everywhere, and he will get you. I feel like "Get Out," "Nope," and others by Jordan Peele are "social speculative fiction," and Candyman is perhaps also a contemporary fairy tale. Another that I saw in the cinema in which I left with existential loathing.



https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2021/08/
candyman-definitive-black-lives-matter-horror














❇️ I am sharing this blog because I have an idea for a short film that would be a horror story set in China. One of my filmy friends may visit me, and we can produce it in a weekend, now that China is opening to the world and giving tourist visas soon. A story about love and friendship in China during the time of Covid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Planning for World Travel, a guide for getting started

Eurail pass or river cruise  is my best suggestion for anyone who has never traveled abroad. This article is written with Americans in mind,...