Friday, August 12, 2022

Countdown to China

Next weekend Erik and I will fly to Los Angeles to start my migration to China for my new job at the American International School of Guangzhou, (AISG.) It took me 6 months to start saying the city name correctly "Guong Joe." Go and Guangzhou rhyme, like, "it's time to go to Guangzhou."

I got very lucky because this seems like a nice school in a world class city. The library I will work in is at the center of the school (6-12 grade) and the building is newly built, it just opened this year. Also, friends who are familiar with China say this is the best international school in China, students who graduate often go on to the best universities in the world. I hope to serve them well! 

I was hired in December and I only got my work visa for entry to China a few weeks ago. My flight requires me to take two covid tests ahead of departure. So Erik and I will hang around L.A. a little bit, we always have fun there. 

I got to spend 8 months at home and it was fantastic! We travelled a lot, hiked the Grand Canyon, made our first visit to South America by visiting Cartagena Colombia, visited Florence Italy, Disney Hollywood Studios, and just got to spend evenings together, as we never have before. Bike rides, reading books to each other, cooking, renovating the master bath, and even just watching TV. He loves his job in the Space industry and is renovating our Florida house, so he will be busy while I am also having adventures. Erik should be able to visit me during the December holiday, because we hope the quarantine upon arrival period will be reduced.

I am packing a ton of stuff, three suitcases... I will blog about the quarantine period and moving process later on. It's going to be interesting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Planning for World Travel, a guide for getting started

Eurail pass or river cruise  is my best suggestion for anyone who has never traveled abroad. This article is written with Americans in mind,...